30 things to do on the Gold Coast
Where hinterland meets the beach, the Gold Coast offers much more than shopping, surf, and skyline (though we have miles of those).
If you’re looking for things to do on the Gold Coast you’re spoilt for choice. Slow down and fill up your tank at a luxury spa retreat, dine right on the beach with the waves at your feet, or go eye-to-eye with the sea’s gentle giants.
What are you waiting for? We’ve saved you a spot on the sand.
1. Ascend the awe-inspiring SkyPoint Climb – Australia’s highest external building climb on top of the Gold Coast’s iconic Q1 building – for a view that stays with you long after you’re back on solid ground.
2. Connect with the gentle giants of the deep on a Spirit of the Gold Coast Whale Watching boat tour.
3. Treat your body and your spirit at spa and lifestyle retreat, Gwinganna. Set in the tranquil Tallebudgera Valley with views all the way to the coast, Gwinganna is an eco retreat that offers wellness and stress management therapies as well as spa treatments. Let the bush soothe your soul as you detox with organic produce sourced from on-site gardens. Bliss.
5. Hit the water with Seaway Kayaking tours and you might just bump into some new friends – dolphins, sea turtles and stingrays are spotted regularly.
6. For a meal with a view you won’t forget anytime soon, dine right on the beach at Rick Shores. The Moreton Bay bug rolls are a must.
7. When was the last time you set off into nothing but blue? Jet Ski Safaris offers riders the chance to explore the stunning beaches and hidden islands of the Gold Coast at their own pace on a self-maned jet ski.
10. Meet the regions’ first inhabitants, hear stories older than the rainforest and take a guided tour of the magical Jellurgal mountain at the Jellurgal Aboriginal Cultural Centre.
11. Get in the driver’s seat and take your holiday up a gear with a Supercars Driving Experience.
12. Experience something completely unique at the Gold Coast’s cultural heart, Home of the Arts. Offering art, theatre, dance, movies, a hidden adventure trail and more, Home of the Arts has an experience to inspire every member of the family.
13. Let a local show you how it’s done. Gold Coast Food and Wine Tours offers a local’s guide to the best food and wine in the region.
14. Raise a glass to the Gold Coast’s thriving brewery scene. Home to some of Australia’s best small breweries, the Coast’s own Burleigh Brewing Company, Blackhops, and Balter Brewing Company are all local favourites.
15. If you’re looking for a spot to throw down a towel, dive into this list of the best beaches on the Gold Coast.
16. A truly unique experience, Infinity will blow your mind and ignite your senses. This multi sensory maze-like environment has to be seen to be believed. Children over eight years and up are welcome.
17. The stars aren’t the only thing lighting up the night in Springbrook National Park. Visit the glow worms that live under the Natural Bridge, a natural wonder which has grown even more beautiful over the last few million years.
18. Don’t just spectate – the next wave has your name on it. Get off the beach and hit the surf with the help of one of the Gold Coast’s friendly surf schools: Walkin’ on Water, Get Wet Surf School, and Go Ride A Wave.
19. Truly let go with a skydive experience from Gold Coast Skydive. Enjoy the views of the beaches and skyline on the way up, then freefall into paradise, landing on beautiful Kirra Beach.
20. Bump elbows with the locals at Miami Marketta, a bustling laneway dining experience where the tastes of the world come to you. With live music and over 25 food vendors to choose from, all that’s left to do is find a seat.
21. A jet boat tour with Paradise Jet Boating is one of the best ways to experience the Gold Coast’s waterways, with a few thrills thrown in for good measure.
23. Hike through lush rainforest and discover the Green Mountains Section of Lamington National Park where you can conquer the waterfall circuit and find Elabana, Chalahn and Box Log Falls or explore the rainforest canopy with a Tree Top Walk. Or, visit Mount Tamborine and explore Witches Falls.
24. Make family memories at Slideways Go Karting. A three-storey go kart facility which includes a tunnel and outdoor racing areas, Slideways has a special track that allows you to ‘drift’ like crazy.
25. Support local artists and hear the voice of xxx. The Gold Coast plays host to many local music and cultural festivals, including Cooly Rocks On, Blues on Broadbeach, Groundwater Country Music Festival, and Bleach.
26. Whether you’re a golfing novice or a total pro, Topgolf is a family friendly option when you’re looking for things to do on the Gold Coast, with games suitable for all types of groups and full wheelchair accessibility.
27. Take a ride into the Australian outback without leaving your seat at the Australian Outback Spectacular.
28. Feel the adrenalin rush of skydiving in the safety of an indoor arena at iFly Indoor Skydiving. Accessible and open to all ages (children as young as three are able to take part), IFly is a completely exhilarating Gold Coast experience the whole family will want in on.
29. Feel the breeze off the ocean and watch the stars come out as you peruse local produce and artisans’ wares at Surfers Paradise Beachfront Markets – the only twilight markets on the Coast – operating year round.
30. Catch the best show in town with this guide to the Gold Coast’s best spots to view the sunrise and sunset.